My job is being eliminated and I feel its due to discrimination and whistle blower

Asked 9 months ago - Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working for a company for about 7 years. I reported some discrimination practices that were being taken place at work by some of the managers that wanted to eliminate all the african american employees in addition to the discrimination I personally experience from management because I am hispanic and I was told I needed to improve my English and I was sent to school when in fact there was nothing wrong with my language skills. I was also told I had comprehension problems. Those managers are no longer in the company but now I am facing a change on my job responsibilities and I feel that my job its being eliminated anytime soon. Is there anything I can do?

1. Alix R. Rubin

2

Answered . Yes, you may have whistle blower and discrimination claims. You should invest in a consultation with an experienced employment attorney to plan your next steps to either save your job or receive adequate severance compensation.

2. Arykah A. Trabosh

Pro

2

Answered . The below response is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be legal advise regarding your specific situation.

More facts are needed in order to better evaluate your situation. Be advised that New Jersey is an at-will employment state. Meaning, that your employer may terminate you for any reason or no reason at all. However, your employer may not terminate or discipline you based on discriminatory or retaliatory reasons, such as because you are Hispanic or because you complained about discrimination. Doing so is a violation of the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act.

I would be interested in discussing the above with you in order to determine if you have a cause of action against your employer. Please contact an employment attorney so that your rights can be protected.

Arykah A. Trabosh, Esquire.
    New Jersey Employment Attorney
    Office: 856.874.9090

3. Matthew Ian Marks

2

Answered . You should consult with an experienced local employment attorney. More facts are needs, such as when you reported the discrimination. However you may have a retaliation claim.