My job accused me of stealing, said they have video proof, then asked me how much, and why I stole it, I did not steal anything.

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I was harrassed by lp, and a gm, and security guard, saying that if i did not confess, and if I left i would go to jail. I left and have not heard anything in a week, what should i do?

1. William David Umansky

Pro

7

Answered . Hopefully you did not confess. It is possible that the employer will forward what proof they have to the police who may or may not contact you. If the police do contact you, DO NOT speak to them without a lawyer. The police will determine if they have enough evidence for the State to prosecute and if they believe they do, they will forward the info on to the State to make a charging decision. If the State feels they have enough evidence to prosecute you they will ask the court to issue a warrant for your arrest. Again it comes down to the evidence the store has against you.

2. James Regan

Pro

6

Answered . The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (FACDL.org) Speak to several that offer free consultation. Hire one that you feel comfortable with and you can afford. FACDL find a lawyer: http://tinyurl.com/8e4h3my

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.
  3. Meghan Hayes Slack

7

Answered . Find a new job. Nothing in your posting indicates that your employer did anything illegal or could be considered grounds for a lawsuit. Unfortunately, if you are an at-will employee, your employer can terminate you at any time for any reason, and they are under no obligation to investigate claims of theft prior to terminating an accused employee.

If your employer presses charges against you, get a criminal defense attorney immediately.

4. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

4

Answered . The truth shall make you free! You didn't do it so that is that. Right?