My J1 visa is expired on 08/31/2013. Do I have grace period?

Asked 11 months ago - Key West, FL

I was told by the lawyers on this forum that I have a 30 days grace period after the date of my visa in passport is expired. Here is the link:

A friend of mine(from Ukraine) has the same visa and the same date of visa expiration and when he called the authorities they told him that everyone has to leave according to the date of expiration and there is no grace period. Now I'm very embarrassed. Can you tell me what to do? I was going to stay for 30 more days for traveling and now I'm thinking to apply for change of status to B2 visa or just fly away at the end of August. I really need the time only only until the 27th of September...

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Eric Alan Dibert

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The thirty day "grace period" is said to begin once your J-1 program ends. See the USCIS website for further details.

    The above statement is intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No... more
  2. Paul M. Ruby

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a grace period. Do not leave the US or you probably won't get back in.

    Here's a link to brief explanation:

    This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just... more
  3. Brian Haksoon Lee

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't know which authorities he called, but you do get the 30-day grace period from the end date of your exchange program. If you are subject to the two-year foreign residency requirement, you cannot even change your status unless you take care of that requirement first, so it's out of the question.

    Law Office of Brian H. Lee, San Jose, California, 408.246.6710 This is general information, not legal advice.... more
  4. Viera Buzgova

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . Yes, with J-1 you get 30-day grace period.

    Viera Buzgova (512) 476-7163. The information above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,739 answers this week

2,955 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,739 answers this week

2,955 attorneys answering