My J1 visa is expired on 08/31/2013. Do I have grace period?

Asked 8 months ago - Key West, FL

I was told by the lawyers on this forum that I have a 30 days grace period after the date of my visa in passport is expired. Here is the link:
www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-stay-till-the-...

A friend of mine(from Ukraine) has the same visa and the same date of visa expiration and when he called the authorities they told him that everyone has to leave according to the date of expiration and there is no grace period. Now I'm very embarrassed. Can you tell me what to do? I was going to stay for 30 more days for traveling and now I'm thinking to apply for change of status to B2 visa or just fly away at the end of August. I really need the time only only until the 27th of September...

1. Eric Alan Dibert

2

Answered . The thirty day "grace period" is said to begin once your J-1 program ends. See the USCIS website for further details.

2. Paul M. Ruby

2

Answered . You have a grace period. Do not leave the US or you probably won't get back in.

Here's a link to brief explanation: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/current/ad...

3. Brian Haksoon Lee

2

Answered . I don't know which authorities he called, but you do get the 30-day grace period from the end date of your exchange program. If you are subject to the two-year foreign residency requirement, you cannot even change your status unless you take care of that requirement first, so it's out of the question.

4. Viera Buzgova

Answered . Yes, with J-1 you get 30-day grace period.