My Italian girlfriend owns a line of handbags and wants to sell them here while in town on B1 . How can it be done legally ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

We have done "trunk shows" before where buyers place order for future models and she gets paid when she goes back to Italy. But now her new bags are ready and we would like to bring them here and try to sell them at a friend's store.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Rex Edward Russo


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I strongly suggest a consultation with a International Business attorney. There are many in Miami, and some are very good at what they do, but their fees are less because they are solo practitioners or in smaller firms. It sounds like that's what you need.

    The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many... more
  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It might be possible to "consign" the goods from Italy to the US enterprise. If not actively engaged in the business, pre-consignment of goods delivered and re-delivered in the US might not constitute doing business in the US.

    Other attorneys may differ in this analysis. I am a business not immigration attorney.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more

Related Topics

B-1 temporary business visa

B-1 visas are available for foreign workers who need to visit the US temporarily for business purposes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,688 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,688 answers this week

2,850 attorneys answering