MY INHERITED CAR WAS STOLEN FROM THE AUTO REPAIR SHOP THEY CLAIM AND THEY NEVER TOLD ME - SUED - NEED ATTORNEY

Chicago, IL |

My Father died and he left me his car as part of the inheritance . It would not start and needed new tires . I had the car towed to an auto repair shop in Chicago Illinois . Once there they told me that they had a lot of clients ahead of me and it would take a while to get to my car . I agreed to wait because they were recommended by an car dealership company . Many months went by and I heard nothing . Finally after approximately 4 months I called and was told that they were still back logged and would be getting to my car in a couple of months . I waited . A year went by . I went by the shop to see if they were still in business . They were , so I just left . A few months later I called again after sending letters and not receiving any responses . The woman who answered the phone hung up on me . A couple of years pasted . I met a woman on the bus whose husband was an auto repair mechanic . She said they had either sold or stolen my car that I should sue . I contacted the Attorney General's Office in Chicago Illinois . After reviewing the response letters from the auto repair company they gave me copies of the letter and told sue because the story did not sound accurate and the facts appeared to be sketchy . I filed the lawsuit and I now need assistance handing this case in court . Can you assist me or suggest someone who can .

This is not a help wanted forum. You can look for a lawyer by clicking on the Find a Lawyer tab at the top of this page but you waited far too long to take action and may have trouble finding a lawyer to pick up what you have already started.

You will want to weigh the value of the car against the amount of attorney's fees you will expend in not only obtaining the judgment, but enforcing it (getting your money). You will not be entitled to recover your attorney's fees. You may wish to retain an attorney to review the lawsuit you filed and to provide you with direction as to how best to prepare for your trial, assuming you filed a small claim.

There other theories you could pursue to potentially increase your award, but they will require an attorney to draft the complaint. Again, sounds like the car wasn't worth much so get some professional guidance but be mindful of the amount you will expend. The saying don't spend good money going after bad money comes to mind based on the fact scenario you've set forth.

Good luck!

This response is being provided for information purposes only and does not constitute an attorney client relationship. Furthermore, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois. While there are oftentimes similarities between States' laws, there can also be large differences. You should not rely on this response as legal advice and are highly encouraged to speak to an attorney licensed in your State for an accurate legal answer.

I also recommend Dmitry Feafanov as an excellent choice. If either atty takes your case the other side will be responsible for fees.

http://www.calemons.com/national-locator/

http://www.calemons.com/

http://www.naca.net

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

What would be the basis for fees under these facts?

Scott Richard Kaufman

Scott Richard Kaufman

If ILL has an unfair and deceptive practices (UDAP) act, like all other states in the union, such a statute almost always has a fee provision in it for a successful plaintiff.

You dropped a car off at a repair shop and then waited years and years to follow up??

I suspect you will have a very hard time convincing a court you are entitled to anything unless you have lots of evidence pointing to ownership of the vehicle, and lcan establish repair facility iability based on a written contract. Strongly recommend you hire an attorney and determine if you have ANY chance at recovery.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Scott Richard Kaufman

Scott Richard Kaufman

I agree BUT these folks did lie to him and if their best defense is sorry, you waited too long, so we are allowed to cheat you, I'd take that case...

I'm not convinced this suit has no viability. What nd of vehicle was it? If you want to ask more questions outside of this forum, you can email me via my link. Thanks.

The author provides the preceding information as a service to the public. Author's response, as stated above, should not be considered legal advice. An initial attorney-client conference, based upon review of all relevant facts/documents, will be necessary to provide legal advice upon which the client should then rely.