My immigration lawyer is difficult to work with - arrogant, rude and unfriendly!

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My company asked me to move to USA - they selected a law firm - the associate working on my case is very rude, not adding any value - lacks common courtesy. I don't know if I can trust the person. Are they bound by law to provide and put forward the best case for their client? I am concerned that this person will not submit the best case possible and mess up my L1-A application.

1. Tara Patricia Degn Kalar

6

Best Answer

Answered . You are the client even if your company is paying for the law firm's work. You have the ability to terminate representation. However, there is no guarantee that your company would pay for a new attorney.

Generally an associate works under a partner. You could try raising your concerns with the partner.

The ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct suggest that, "A lawyer should pursue a matter on behalf of a client despite opposition, obstruction or personal inconvenience to the lawyer, and take whatever lawful and ethical measures are required to vindicate a client's cause or endeavor. A lawyer must also act with commitment and dedication to the interests of the client and with zeal in advocacy upon the client's behalf. A lawyer is not bound, however, to press for every advantage that might be realized for a client. For example, a lawyer may have authority to exercise professional discretion in determining the means by which a matter should be pursued. The lawyer's duty to act with reasonable diligence does not require the use of offensive tactics or preclude the treating of all persons involved in the legal process with courtesy and respect."

Courtesy and respect are basic. I'm sorry you feel mistreated.

2. Gintare Grigaite

6

Answered . Bring this issue up with your company, and see if someone else could work on your case.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . Change lawyers.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can raise your issues with the employer's attorney's partner.