My immigration lawyer is difficult to work with - arrogant, rude and unfriendly!

New York, NY |

My company asked me to move to USA - they selected a law firm - the associate working on my case is very rude, not adding any value - lacks common courtesy. I don't know if I can trust the person. Are they bound by law to provide and put forward the best case for their client? I am concerned that this person will not submit the best case possible and mess up my L1-A application.

You are the client even if your company is paying for the law firm's work. You have the ability to terminate representation. However, there is no guarantee that your company would pay for a new attorney.

Generally an associate works under a partner. You could try raising your concerns with the partner.

The ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct suggest that, "A lawyer should pursue a matter on behalf of a client despite opposition, obstruction or personal inconvenience to the lawyer, and take whatever lawful and ethical measures are required to vindicate a client's cause or endeavor. A lawyer must also act with commitment and dedication to the interests of the client and with zeal in advocacy upon the client's behalf. A lawyer is not bound, however, to press for every advantage that might be realized for a client. For example, a lawyer may have authority to exercise professional discretion in determining the means by which a matter should be pursued. The lawyer's duty to act with reasonable diligence does not require the use of offensive tactics or preclude the treating of all persons involved in the legal process with courtesy and respect."

Courtesy and respect are basic. I'm sorry you feel mistreated.

2. Change lawyers.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Bring this issue up with your company, and see if someone else could work on your case.

Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

4. I agree with my colleagues. You can raise your issues with the employer's attorney's partner.

Alexus P. Sham alexuspshamesq@gmail.com (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.