My immigration lawyer is difficult to work with - arrogant, rude and unfriendly!

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My company asked me to move to USA - they selected a law firm - the associate working on my case is very rude, not adding any value - lacks common courtesy. I don't know if I can trust the person. Are they bound by law to provide and put forward the best case for their client? I am concerned that this person will not submit the best case possible and mess up my L1-A application.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tara Patricia Degn Kalar

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You are the client even if your company is paying for the law firm's work. You have the ability to terminate representation. However, there is no guarantee that your company would pay for a new attorney.

    Generally an associate works under a partner. You could try raising your concerns with the partner.

    The ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct suggest that, "A lawyer should pursue a matter on behalf of a client despite opposition, obstruction or personal inconvenience to the lawyer, and take whatever lawful and ethical measures are required to vindicate a client's cause or endeavor. A lawyer must also act with commitment and dedication to the interests of the client and with zeal in advocacy upon the client's behalf. A lawyer is not bound, however, to press for every advantage that might be realized for a client. For example, a lawyer may have authority to exercise professional discretion in determining the means by which a matter should be pursued. The lawyer's duty to act with reasonable diligence does not require the use of offensive tactics or preclude the treating of all persons involved in the legal process with courtesy and respect."

    Courtesy and respect are basic. I'm sorry you feel mistreated.

  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Bring this issue up with your company, and see if someone else could work on your case.

    Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare... more
  3. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Change lawyers.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  4. Alexus Paul Sham


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You can raise your issues with the employer's attorney's partner.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,173 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,173 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering