My I-94 wasn't taken by the USCIS Officer during and after my AOS interview. Should I be worried?

Asked 11 months ago - Dallas, TX

My interview went well but he said he will leave in my passport and get back to I and my wife about his decision in a couple of weeks either through a phone call or mail. He also pleaded with me not to leave the country during this process. I was kind of confused because I was told that they take the I-94 if they are going to approve you and my interview went well because he only asked a couple of marriage related questions and spent most of the interview time going through the forms we had filled to make sure everything was correct. He contemplated taking the I-94 then said since I am still a student he won't take it.

He told us we will get a response in 2-3 weeks.It's been over 2 weeks and my uscis status is still on testing and interview and hasn't changed. Also i haven't received any mail from them yet

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

7

Answered . Not on the basis of your I-94 not having been taken by the officer. You had been told incorrectly. It is completely discretionary with the officer whether to take your status form or not. Most officers in most jurisdictions I had interviews in, do not take status forms at the interview. Some do.

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

6

Answered . You do not need to worry. It sounds like you remain in valid non-immigrant status. As such, you may need your I-94. You will get a decision on the mail.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . There seems to be no reason to worry based on the facts you gave us. Walt for the decision to arrive in the mail within the next few weeks.

4. Cindy Medina

3

Answered . I agree with attorney Barlow.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . Who ever 'told' you this doesn't know what they are talking about and the world would be better off if they stopped giving immigration advice.

You are perfectly fine ... don't count the days, it could take more than 3 weeks. The CIS officer is only able to give an estimate ... it is not a promise to do something in 21 days.
    Relax, enjoy your new marriage and ... STAY IN SCHOOL.