My i-485 is pending due to DUI convictions. I have to go to my country because of serious family emergency.

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

If I get an advance parole, Is it possible to reenter to the US?
I heard it's too risky and probably not be allowed to enter.
Does Immigration office give me an advance parole even there is no chance to reenter to the US? Do they give an advance parole to someone who has criminal records and 485 is pending ?
Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is risky to leave under these circumstances. Citizenship and Immigration Services can give Advance Parole and Customs and Border Protection can still deny you entry into the US. You may also be subject to a different bar on entry if you have been in this country for a certain period of time in an unlawful status. I would not advise you to leave while your case is pending.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Some people are risk takers ... I'm not one of them.

    Although I am sorry to hear about your family emergency, you may be looking at an immigration emergency if you leave the US before your greencard is processed .... especially since it looks like you are facing more than one DUI.

    Meet with your criminal defense attorney and have him/her get in touch with an immigration attorney.

    Also, see if some other member of your family can deal with the emergency, so you don't need to leave the US.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . DUIs plural? Anything else?

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,577 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,577 answers this week

2,977 attorneys answering