My i-130 was expired, What can i do to get it back up?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

My i-130 was approved but I couldn't apply for AOS because I was an EWI. How do I get a new i-130? will i have to file a new i-130 or i can just ask them to reopen it? I plan to got o my country with advanced parole to get the f-1 visa I am an immediate relative of an US Citizen.

Additional information

I have TPS, i don't have the 3-10 year bar. i don't need a waiver for unlawful presence.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Nicole R. Abruzzo

    Contributor Level 1
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You do not require a new I-130 because I-130s do not expire. You need to ensure that you will qualify for advanced parole. If you do not have a pending I-485 (green card application) that may be problematic, unless you qualify for advance parole for some other reason. Your TPS may protect you from unlawful presence, and if you do obtain advance parole under the Board's recent decision in Matter of Arrabally, you should be protected against triggering unlawful presence. Another option, to be absolutely protected, would be to file a waiver of inadmissibility for unlawful presence and waiting for a decision even before traveling abroad to consular process to ensure that you are absolutely protected before traveling abroad. Please be advised, however, that these are general responses and to obtain legal advice, you should seek an attorney's advice and show the attorney all of your immigration documentation prior to making any decisions about how to proceed.

  2. Alice Antonovsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are an EWI, you will not be granted an F visa. What I urge you to do is speak to an experienced attorney right away. I would advise you against leaving the Country prior to speaking to an attorney who can ask you additional questions and give you sound advice. Good luck.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more... more
  3. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You might be able to adjust your status if you have a valid advanced parole, and if you are able to enter the U.S. as a parolee. How are you qualified for your advanced parole? Is it based on Family Unity Benefits or your TPS?

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  4. Shokry G Abdelsayed

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Your I-130, once approved, never expires. If you entered the country EWI and now leave the country, it is unlikely that you will be granted F-1 visa. I highly suggest that you consult with experienced immigration attorney on this.

    Contact Shokry G. Abdelsayed, Esq. at 201-471-7989, NY and NJ. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,330 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,330 answers this week

3,134 attorneys answering