My husbands property and divorce settlement reads that he is to pay alimony for the life of EACH party. What happens if he dies

Louisville, KY |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

If he dies do I have to pay her alimony until she or I die? We are all in our late 60's.

1. I am sorry that you are thinking of this, my understanding of most state laws is that the alimony obligation only follows the spouse and that no one else is legally obligated. There may be an insurance policy but absent that you should have no obligation, take care and let's hope you all live a long and happy life.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

2. You may want to have an attorney take a look at it and go from there. In general, the order should be for your spouse only, but other language in the papers may say otherwise and an attorney may know of some case law on the issue to help guide your husband.