My husbands property and divorce settlement reads that he is to pay alimony for the life of EACH party. What happens if he dies

Asked over 1 year ago - Louisville, KY

If he dies do I have to pay her alimony until she or I die? We are all in our late 60's.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

8

Answered . I am sorry that you are thinking of this, my understanding of most state laws is that the alimony obligation only follows the spouse and that no one else is legally obligated. There may be an insurance policy but absent that you should have no obligation, take care and let's hope you all live a long and happy life.

2. Nicole Prebeck

Pro

1

Answered . You may want to have an attorney take a look at it and go from there. In general, the order should be for your spouse only, but other language in the papers may say otherwise and an attorney may know of some case law on the issue to help guide your husband.