My husbands brother has supported him to a total of $24,000 a year for the past 20 years. He just cut him off. Husband is 75

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Family law

Strong headed Napeolatian Italian......

My husband is ill and is still working to make a living. He doesn't have enough quarters to earn a SS check for he has not worked in this country long enough. My husbands brother has gotten very very cheap in his old age and has basically deserted my husband. We are now without living expenses and my husbands brother is laughing. Can we sue him for desertion?

Although you are talking about family matters, this is not a family law or family court question. Family law addresses matters of divorce, custody, and matters related to marriage and domestic partnership.

I suggest that you re-post your question to those practicing contract law and elder law.

You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below.

If you found this response helpful, please click on the button accompanying this response. Mr. Richardson practices in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, and concentrates in non-adversarial dispute resolution as a mediator and collaborative lawyer. The California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certifies Mr. Richardson as a specialist in California Family Law. He offers no comments or advice with respect to the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than California. The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. Mr. Richardson is not your lawyer unless and until you and he have personally met together. This post does not constitute legal advice, and no lawyer client relationship results.

As in your other posting, you indicate no legal obligation to suport, other than a continuing gift.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Recommended articles about Family law