My husbands brother has supported him to a total of $24,000 a year for the past 20 years. He just cut him off. Husband is 75

Asked over 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

Strong headed Napeolatian Italian......

Additional information

My husband is ill and is still working to make a living. He doesn't have enough quarters to earn a SS check for he has not worked in this country long enough. My husbands brother has gotten very very cheap in his old age and has basically deserted my husband. We are now without living expenses and my husbands brother is laughing. Can we sue him for desertion?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button or "Best Answer" at the... more
  2. George Baker Richardson

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Although you are talking about family matters, this is not a family law or family court question. Family law addresses matters of divorce, custody, and matters related to marriage and domestic partnership.

    I suggest that you re-post your question to those practicing contract law and elder law.

    You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below.

    If you found this response helpful, please click on the button accompanying this response. Mr. Richardson... more
  3. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As in your other posting, you indicate no legal obligation to suport, other than a continuing gift.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,156 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,156 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering