Skip to main content

My husband would like to adopt my daughter and I would like to adopt his son, How do we do this without a lawyer?

Copperas Cove, TX |

I have a daughter from a previous relationship and my husband has a son from a previous marriage. My daughter's biological father has not ever been in her life and is not on her BC, She has my madien last name. I do not know of his whereabouts. My husband's ex-wife, abandoned his son with her god parents in early 2011, and my husband took custody of my step son in late 2011. The biological mother has not contacted her son since 2011 and does not pay court ordered child support. The biological mother lives in Albuqueque, NM. We were told we can adopt each other's child if the non-custodial parents have not been in the picture for more than 6months and are not paying child support. What are the steps/process to adopt our step children w/o a lawyer? Where can i get the forms? Who can i call?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Although you would like to do this on your own, adoptions are very complex in terms of the process. Also, since you do not know the whereabouts of your daughter's biological father, he will likely be served by publication and an ad litem attorney will likely be appointed to represent his interests. You should consult with a family lawyer before attempting to do this on your own. Many give free initial consultations.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


I agree. (Although my answer would have been to go to law school...)

Adoptions require terminating the parental rights of the biological father and Mother. Not easy to do right - even when they agree.

Do yourself a favo - hire a lawyer.

Good luck!



The procedure here varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I understand you are hesitant to hire a lawyer if you can do it yourself but it is really in your best interest to have a Family Law attorney navigate the waters of the stepparent adoption for you. There are likely going to be collateral issues that arise that a lawyer will be able to help you with as well.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer