Skip to main content

My husband wont give me a dime of our 2011 tax return.

Morrison, IL |

we filied married filing jointly he made 28,000 and i made only 1,600 and we claim four isn't his. i didn't work because i had his baby that year.anyway he wont let me have even one dime of the money we have bills and we both agree to pay them but come on not even a dime to buy his kids clothes. So anyway am i intitled to half the money or at least a portion.

Attorney Answers 3


I am assuming this is an IRS refund. Once refunded, state law determines who can make decisions regarding how the funds are spent. I suggest you repost your question in the family law section for your state.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Without a divorce petition pending, this is a family issue, not a legal one.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


If you are still together as one unit, you two will have to work out the distribution.

If you are apart and going through divorce, you have to have a divorce attorney assign a property settlement and to specifiy who gets the deductions.

Its my understanding that Illinois is not a community property state but equitable division state, and a family law judge will make an equitable division in the divorce case.

Good Luck

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree