My husband was T-boned by an 18 wheeler monday morning while working.

Marietta, GA |

The truck spun him in a 90 degree angle and pushed the vehicle the length of a football field. My husband was injured, although due to having no insurance he was not taken to the hospital in an emergency vehicle, rather his co-worker drove him. His boss said that he would be contacted by the company rresponsible and no tot say anything. WHat should he do? The 18 wheeler ran a red light and hit them going about 50-65 mph and there was no evidence of an attempt to slow the truck.

I am sorry to hear about your husbands collision and injury. You need to retain legal counsel. It sounds as if your husband may have two separate claims one for Personal injury as it relates to the 18 wheeler and one for workers compensation. If handled properly the fact that your husband does not have health insurance will not keep him from getting the care he needs.

I am happy to discuss this further with you. I can be reached at 770-948-5454.

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.

Your husband needs a good lawyer to investigate his potential options as well as liability and any damages that exist. I would be happy to speak to him and point him in the right direction. Where was the accident?

Evan A. Watson is a Georgia licensed attorney. All information is based on Georgia law, and no response should be construed as legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is simply a form of legal education and is intended to provide general information for all readers. Please refer with an attorney who practices in your applicable state for non-Georgia legal questions.

Your husband needs to receive medical care. Because he lacks health
insurance many doctors will not treat him without being paid upfront. I can
arrange for your husband to receive care *without upfront payment*.
Additionally, your husband should not sign any documents the insurance
company presents him before speaking with an attorney. I would be glad to
speak with him for free. Please contact me with any questions.

Regards,

Aaron Marks
404-939-1485

--
Aaron Marks, Esq.
The Marks Law Group, LLC
103 W. Dearborn Circle
Decatur, GA 30030
www.markslawgroup.com
aaron@markslawgroup.com
404-939-1485 (ph)
404-581-5902 (fx)

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In
answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and
am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me
at 404-939-1485 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone
call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and
appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with
limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is
possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases
not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal
counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office
at avvo@markslawgroup.com . An email also does
not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer
not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any
information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is
not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information
contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is
formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice.
>

--
ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS
PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are
confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's
express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive
any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to
this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this
communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties
under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend
any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give
tax advice.

ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED; DO NOT FORWARD OR DISCLOSE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Communications from attorneys and their employees are confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed without the sender's express permission. There is no intent on the part of the sender to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. Further, anything you believe to be tax advice in this communication, including attachments, cannot be used to avoid penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, nor does it promote, market, or recommend any transaction or tax-related matter. The Marks Law Group does not give tax advice.

I hope that your husband is on the mend. The employer is correct - your husband should not give any statement. You and your husband should contact an attorney as soon as possible to make sure that his rights are protected. Evidence must be secured and letters sent to the at fault trucking company to prevent them from destroying evidence. I would be happy to provide a free consultation.

Kimberly W. Grant
404-995-3953
kgrant@waynegrant.com

You should hire an attorney as soon as possible. Trucking companies are very difficult to deal with in cases.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

the most important thing that you can do is make sure that your husband gets the medical attention that he needs at this time. Once you have that in place, you should contact an attorney in your area that practice is personal injury law. I am in Marietta, and am available to speak to you.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

That is so awful. I am so sorry that this happened. It must have been very scary for your husband. Your husband needs to get prompt medical attention & continue with his treatment until he is better. Your husband should not speak with anyone from the trucker's insurance company. Ya'll really need to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. You are welcome to contact me on my cell phone anytime day or night @ (404) 468-4689, including over the weekend, if you would like to talk. I can also visit ya'll if you would like. I hope your husband feels better. Take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.
(404) 468-4689

As others have suggested, your husband has a potential workers' compensation claim as a result of being injured while on the job. With the help of a reputable workers' comp attorney, he should be able to obtain all the care he needs to get better.

He also has a liability claim against the truck driver and his employer as a result of his negligence in running a red light. Claims against trucking companies are very different than claims against individuals like you and me and the insurance companies that insure us. For that reason, I highly encourage you to contact a firm with experience handling these types of claims. It is also important to do this quickly to preserve any evidence and speak with any witnesses that may be needed later.

My firm has handled a variety of these types of claims up to and including wrongful death claims. You can find out more about these cases on our website (http://www.awjoneslaw.com/Personal-Injury/Tractor-Trailer-Accidents.aspx). Please feel free to contact me at (770) 427-5498. We are also located in Marietta and would be happy to meet with you or discuss the case at your convenience free of charge.

Don't let him speak to the insurance company or make a statement. He needs a good lawyer so he can get maximum compensation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

What a horrible accident! I hope your husband recovers soon.

Your husband needs tio get legal counsel immediately and should NOT talk to the company responsible or their insurer. Any statements he makes will be used against him.

I see two possible claims:

(1) a negligence claim against the trucker (and likely his employer) for his medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc.

(2) a possible workers comp claim with his employer (workers comp is likely required to pay his medical bills so don't fret about his lack of health insurance). There are specific requirements for making that claim in a timely fashion.

I'd be very happy to schedule a free consultation. I handle such cases and the other lawyer in my building also does. Call me at 404-768-3509, or email me at geaatl@msn.com over the weekend.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Your husband needs proper medical attention and an experienced personal injury attorney to represent him.

Generally, all of the answers provided contain useful information for you. Your husband has a variety of claims which need to be carefully handled by competent counsel. It is very important that you carefully select an attorney and I would suggest speaking with more than one attorney before making a selection. Having represented numerous people in similar matters, I would be happy to discuss this you and your husband or make a referral to other very qualified attorneys.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not create an attorney/client or confidential relationship which can only be created by a written and signed retainer agreement.

As others have suggested, there may be 2 claims here, (1) workers compensation, and (2) and third party truck accident claim (against truck driver/trucking company). Your husband should consult a lawyer.

Also true that trucking cases can be challenging because many truck carriers have their insurance adjusters, and even an attorney, on the scene shortly after a crash.

Your husband should consult a lawyer as soon as he is able to do so.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.

I agree with the advice shared by all the fine lawyers on this service. Medical treatment can be arranged. Since he was working, workers's comp may also apply. We would be happy to discuss all options with you and your husband.

Best Regards

Robert "Mully" Mulholland
The Mulholland Law Firm
770.350.2691

I pray your husband makes a full recovery. In addition to the information listed above, it is extremely important that you retain counsel that has handled 18 wheeler accidents in the past. An 18 wheeler accident is completely different from a regular car accident, and it should be handled by law firm/lawyer with keen insight in this area of law.

Best regards,
André Dennis
404-850-7951

First: focus on helping get your husband the medical care he needs. There are many good doctors you might treat him for "deferred payment" or work on another payment arrangement with them. A good trucking/personal injury lawyer can help you with this. Second, in this condition your husband should not give an statement to the trucking company's insurance company without first speaking with his own trucking lawyer. You should find and retain a lawyer who specifically handles cases against trucking companies. Cases against professional drivers and trucking companies are much different than cases involving automobiles. You will need someone familiar with the regulations governing trucks who knows what evidence will need to be gathered. There may well be many other reasons why the truck ran the light, including whether the driver was overworked or operating over the maximum amount of allowed driving hours.

Law is state-specific and laws may vary from state to state. You should consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice. This answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Your husband needs an attorney. Not just a personal injury attorney, he needs an attorney that specializes in trucking accidents. There are many State and Federal regulations that relate to the operation of commercial vehicles and many of these regulations are violated by "over the road" or "long haul" truckers.

Many personal injury attorneys that do not specialize in trucking litigation treat trucking accidents like "big car wrecks." They are very different beasts in and of themselves, and should be handled differently. Beyond your husband's compensatory damages (your husband's medical bills, lost wages, property damage to his vehicle, pain, and suffering) you may also have a claim for loss of consortium (the loss of services and marital duties of a husband), and there very likely is a claim for punitive damages against the truck driver, the trucking company, or even against the insurance company directly, in Georgia.

Many folks here mentioned being able to get medical care without medical insurance. Any attorney should be able to help your husband with that. It's called a "medical lien" and means that the doctors' services will be paid out of any settlement and verdict that you and your husband receive from the insurance company for the trucking company. Any attorney's office can do that for you. Generally speaking, medical providers won't accept payment on a lien basis without an attorney representing the patient, so keep that in mind.

You husband has multiple ways for to recover and be compensated for this accident. Many attorneys have responded to your question and I suggest you contact an experienced attorney ASAP. The trucking company has no obligation to retain log book or speed data unless they are properly placed on notice. Please contact a lawyer as soon as practicable. We specialize in Truck Accidents and would be happy to speak to you about your case. 404 835 8072