My husband was served almost 60 days ago, now he is calling and saying he never was served

Asked almost 3 years ago - Plano, TX

My attorney said my spouse was served a while back. We have not heard anything from him until now. My divorce is to be final in 1 week.. Spouse said he was never served and he didnt sign anything..

1. Thomas James Daley

Pro

1

2

Best Answer

Answered . I am very familiar with the courts and the clerk's office in Collin County so here are some specific pointers:

1. Look you case up: You can look at your case file by going to this link: http://www.co.collin.tx.us/courts/case_informat.... Click on "Case Search - Basic". Put in his information (you only want civil and district case information) and let it search. When it finds your case, it will show up at the bottom of the screen. Click on that case and you'll see everything that the court knows about having happened in your case. You will see where the clerks office issued citation and notice. Among those entries, it will say "Served on xx/xx/xx" or "Unserved." If it says "Served on xx/xx/xx", that means he was served on the date xx/xx/xx.

2. Get proof of service: If you have an attorney, ask him or her to send you proof of service. It could be that your husband was not personally served and that your attorney had to use alternate or publication service to notify him. If either of the latter are true, your husband might not have recieved any papers, but as far as the court is concerned, he might have been served nonetheless. At any rate, your attorney should have documents to show the judge to prove your husband was served.

3. Served, but no proof of service: If the clerk's records show he was served but your attorney cannot send you proof of service, there must be proof of service in the clerk's file. You can go to the District Courthouse at 2100 Bloomdale, McKinney and have the clerk's print up the proof of service (will cost you $1 per page, probably fewer than 5 pages--might just be one page). The clerks office has moved--go through security, past the escalators, keep going straight through the new contstuction. Their office is on the left and it's labeled "Civil District Clerk."

4. No schedule for finalizing divorce: You don't HAVE to finalize your divorce next week. You have to wait AT LEAST 60 days to finalize a divorce, but it can continue after that. I get that you want this done. But don't panic about it having to be done by a certain date.

Good luck!!

2. Scott Douglas Marquardt

Answered . You need to consult with your attorney. Your attorney should have proof of service that was done either by a process server or through the court. There will be a section where the individual who did the service will swear that the papers were served even if your husband refused to sign. Good luck!