My husband was rear ended last week and has been in pain since (back mostly). He went to the hospital for whiplash last week.

Asked 12 months ago - Haddonfield, NJ

The pain is ongoing. I noticed we have verbal tort on our car insurance. Can we still sue?

1. Matthew Louis Solomon

Pro

19

Answered . If you have a verbal threshold his injuries need to be severe enough to breach it, however you should speak to an attorney asap to review your case. Let an attorney tell you if you are able to bring a claim.

2. Brett Roger Greiner

18

Answered . For an injury like this, the verbal tort is overcome if there is objective evidence of a permanent injury. Most people in NJ carry the verbal tort on their policy. Also, if there was a commercial vehicle involved, it is important to note that they are not able to assert the verbal tort defense even if you carry it on your policy. Contact a lawyer to get a full explanation of your rights. Hope he feels better.

3. Raymond Andrew Grimes

Pro

15

Answered . The limitation on lawsuit threshold (sometimes referred to as the verbal threshold) makes it more difficult to be compensated for an injury sustained in motor vehicle accident than if you had selected the no threshold option. Your treating physician will have to provide a certification that your injury is permanent, that the diagnosis is based upon an "objective" test or assessment and that treatment is not likely to heal the injury. You may also meet the threshold if you have a "displaced fracture". An attorney cannot determine if you meet the limitation on tort threshold without looking at the medical records and test results. If you meet the threshold, the level of compensation will be determined by the nature and extent of your injuries, their impact on your life and any economic loss you may have incurred. You did not state whether or not the party at fault was a commercial vehicle. If it was, the threshold does not apply.
    The value of every case is different from the others because the facts and personalities are unique to every case. I have clients for which I would love to try their case because they are very pleasant, have significant injuries, and witnesses with no interest in the case verify the clients' post-accident physical limitations. I have other clients with similar injuries but who do not come across as well, or do not have witnesses to support the impact on the client after the after the accident, or there are other harmful facts. Simply put, there is no "stock" value for any particular injury. Everyone's case is different.

4. Scott Ivan Fegley

15

Answered . While it is still early, I'd say it is unlikely you will be able to sue unless his condition worsens and becomes disabling. Even if you can obtain a certificate of permanent injury from you doctor, insurance companies will often take a "no pay" position and try these cases because juries just aren't awarding any money in verbal threshold cases. If your husband's injury turns out to be serious enough to overcome the verbal tort, which for his sake I certainly hope it does not, then his case can probably be settled.

5. Craig A. Post

14

Answered . Yes but vaulting the threshold will be difficult. There are many factors that must be considered in making such a determination. Your husband should get the medical attention he requires and should also consult with a qualified personal injury attorney in your area to discuss the viability of a claim.

Pro

14

Answered . Depends what the full extent of the injuries are, and whether permanent. Retain a good personal injury lawyer to investigate.

7. Patrick X Amoresano

Pro

11

Answered . Yes, you can sue if your husband has sustained a permanent injury, or if you were hit by a commercial vehicle. I'd like to learn more about the accident and your husband's injuries.

8. Michael A Ferrara Jr

Pro

10

Answered . Most likely no but if gets worse see a local attorney for free interview.

9. Yolanda Navarrete

8

Answered . Most of the accidents I handle have the Verbal threshold. I file a claim on behalf of the client and oversee his medical treatment. It is imperative that the doctor he sees is experienced with getting paid through the auto insurance. It is also imperative that he he the proper diagnostic tests. Whether there is sufficient injury to ultimately file a law suit depends on the outcome after his treatment is over. He has nothing to lose by retaining a personal injury attorney because if he doesn't meet the threshold he does not have to pay the attorney, as most attorneys accept these cases on a contingency basis.

10. Joseph Monaco

3

Answered . Your husband should seek medical care to address his injuries. If his problems persist, he should then consult with a lawyer. Whether he is able to recover a settlement is a complex questions requiring additional information.