My husband was ordered to give me 10,000 in our divorce settlement over a year and a half ago. He has piddled out money here a

Lincoln Park, MI |

and there and says he has paid the full amount. NOTHING WAS EVER IN WRITING. CAN I ENFORCE THIS?

I HAVE A COURT ORDERED JUDGEMENT STATING THAT HE MUST PAY THE TEN THOUSAND, HOWEVER HE HAS NO RECEIPTS OF ANY SORT SHOWING THAT HE EVER PAID A DIME OF IT.

1. Hi, A court speaks through its written orders and judgments. If the $10,000 is in writing you can take him back to court and enforce it. If there is no written order or judgment then you have a serious problem. You should order a transcript from the hearing ordering the $10,000 and make sure that it is reduced to a court order or judgment. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information. Good luck to you.

Henry Gornbein

2. Was the $10,000.00 payment in the judgment of divorce? If so then yes you can enforce it.

3. If a judge or referee ordered that something be paid, it must be reduced to some writing to be enforceable. You could drag him into court and order the transcript from the hearing where he was ordered to pay and perhaps the judge would enforce it by holding your ex in contempt.

4. Nothing in writing anywhere? Then no, you can't.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.