My husband was let go from his job and he filed for unemployment and was denied twice. what can we do. we fell behind in bills

Reading, PA |

my husband lost his job and was denied unemployment twice. the lawyer we had did not do things that he thought was right. he did not tell my husband that we could continue to fight for his benfits instead he said there was nothing else to be down and that was it. I just want to know how we can go about getting my husbands benifits. We have a two year old daughter and a son on the way and we are falling behing in our bills and house payments becuase of this mess. I think that they only let him go because he was sick a lot over the months and they just used it to there advantage. can we still fight is my question?

You would file your initial claim and if it is denied, you could then appeal the decision. Did you apply for unemployment compensation benefits twice or did you exercise your right to an appeal and were denied benefits at the appellate level?

You should have had the chance to appeal the decision. There are generally three reasons why unemployment benefits are denied: (1) your husband voluntarily quit; (2) he didn't earn sufficient wages at his former position for unemployment benefits; or (3) he was terminated for misconduct. If none of those are present, you should win at an appeal.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Zachary Zawarski
www.zawarskilaw.com

As was mentioned in the previous post, there are several levels of appeal. Once a claim is filed, an initial determination is made. If denied, then you have a right to appeal before the unemployment office. If that appeal is lost, an appeal may be filed in the county court of common pleas. There are time lines for filing at each stage. As mentioned previously, you may have to refile and then go through the appeals.

Justin C. Gearty, Jr.
717-490-6325
justin.gearty@gmail.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is for educational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Justin C. Gearty, Jr.
717-490-6325
justin.gearty@gmail.com