My husband was involved in a motorcycle accident in June 2011.

When the accident happened, the insurance company asked him to go the the hospital to be checked and they would pay. They provided a claim number which my husband used at the time of service. The insurance company never paid the bill and we have been sent to collection and had to go to court due to this. The insurance company will only pay the $177 and not the court fees, which are now over $600. What are the legal rights to having the insurance company pay the full bill? The insurance company issued a check recently payable to my husband and the hospital, but the hospital will not accept it, since it was turned over to collection and the court.

Fort Collins, CO -

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Personal Injury Lawyer - Centennial, CO

If an automobile was involved, you have three years to bring a lawsuit.

The challenge you have is that in the world of attorneys, the sum of money at stake is so small, no attorney is likely to jump into this battle short of charging you an hourly rate that would absolutely cost you more than simply making arrangements to pay the bill.

The insurance carrier is obligated to pay reasonable charges -- not necesarily the jacked up prices charged by health care providers. In fact, there is growing area of litigation in Colorado as it relates to the bills generated by health care providers and what is reasonable.

I wish you luck.

John Gus Zgourides

John Gus Zgourides

Personal Injury Lawyer - The Woodlands, TX

Colorado generally allows 2 years from the date of a tort to sue to responsible parties. Hire a local attorney ASAP.

Andrew Ronald Gillin

Andrew Ronald Gillin

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - San Jose, CA

This is a difficult situation. If you went to a lawyer the fees would be more than the dispute. I suggest you contact the Colorado insurance commisioner. Good Luck