My husband was involved in a motorcycle accident in June 2011.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Collins, CO

When the accident happened, the insurance company asked him to go the the hospital to be checked and they would pay. They provided a claim number which my husband used at the time of service. The insurance company never paid the bill and we have been sent to collection and had to go to court due to this. The insurance company will only pay the $177 and not the court fees, which are now over $600. What are the legal rights to having the insurance company pay the full bill? The insurance company issued a check recently payable to my husband and the hospital, but the hospital will not accept it, since it was turned over to collection and the court.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If an automobile was involved, you have three years to bring a lawsuit.

    The challenge you have is that in the world of attorneys, the sum of money at stake is so small, no attorney is likely to jump into this battle short of charging you an hourly rate that would absolutely cost you more than simply making arrangements to pay the bill.

    The insurance carrier is obligated to pay reasonable charges -- not necesarily the jacked up prices charged by health care providers. In fact, there is growing area of litigation in Colorado as it relates to the bills generated by health care providers and what is reasonable.

    I wish you luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. John Gus Zgourides

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Colorado generally allows 2 years from the date of a tort to sue to responsible parties. Hire a local attorney ASAP.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  3. Andrew Ronald Gillin


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is a difficult situation. If you went to a lawyer the fees would be more than the dispute. I suggest you contact the Colorado insurance commisioner. Good Luck

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,249 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,249 answers this week

3,086 attorneys answering