Skip to main content

My husband was in love with me two years ago and told me he will accept all of my conditions to marry me

Houston, TX |

My husband was in love with me two years ago and told me he will accept all of my conditions to marry me, he told me that he will convert to my religion and practice it and also he never drink alcohol, but after a few months he started drinking, he never practiced my religion and recently i discovered he lied to me that he truly converted to my religion, i really feel hurt, can I sue him and file against him because of all of these lies he told me? my religion is very important for me and in my religion it is a sin to marry with someone that doesn't have same religion with you and you can not be with other man for four months.

Attorney Answers 3


It appears that you live in Houston, Texas. There are many fine family law attorney in the Houston area. Unfortunately, the situation you describe happens often. Your situation is not unique. The only remedy is to seek a divorce. You need to look on this excellent website and find a tough, smart attorney and get this divorce started. You have a short-term marriage so there should not be a lot of assets and debts to divide.

Texas is a no fault divorce state so he cannot force you to remain married to him. If you want to file for "fault", you can do so but is really is not necessary. When you meet with the attorney, the attorney can describe Texas law to you.

I would encourage you to enter counseling since you are obviously very upset about this relationship. The court can only deal with the end of this marriage. The emotional issues are not part of the court proceedings. Therefore, a counselor can help you cope with that part of the divorce process.

I wish you the best. Also, if this man might get angry when you decide to file for divorce so talk to a divorce attorney BEFORE talking to him about the divorce. You might need to file for a divorce with temporary orders. You might also need to have a "safety plan" to be safe if you think he might get violent when he finds out that you are divorcing him -- often alcohol can make people do strange things.

Good luck!

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees




thanks for your reply, is it possible i apply for annulment not divorce?

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein


I have no idea. In Texas, you have to meet certain criteria. You need to consult with an attorney in person. Again, this is a free consultation.


File for divorce. You maybe able to seek a larger share of assets, if there are any.

Eric Dick, LL.M.; Office: 832-207-2007; Cell: 713-498-7969; Email:; website: LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and his office located in Harris County. Mr. Dick primarily practices insurance law in Texas and offers free consultations. Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Mark as helpful


The law is secular in the United States, best to file divorce in Saudi Arabia if you meet the jurisctional requirments.

God Bless,

Mark as helpful

1 comment



shut the up redneck

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics