My husband was in an auto accident. The driver of the car that hit my husband was not the owner of the car.

Knoxville, TN |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

The ins co that covers the car will not pay because the driver is not the owner. What do we need to do? My husband was not at fault.

Report the accident to your own insurance company. They might cover the claim under uninsured motorist coverage, if you have it. And, give serious consideration to hiring a local personal injury attorney who is willing to on a contingency fee basis.

Most auto insurance policies cover a "permissive" driver. The insurance company's position may be due to the fact that the driver of the car did not have "permission" to use the car and therefore is not covered. More likely, however, the insurance company is simply hoping that you will accept its position and not file a claim.

If in fact there is no coverage for the driver under the owner's policy, there may be other avenues to pursue. For instance, do you know if the driver has a policy that might provide coverage? Finally, if neither the driver or owner truly have coverage, you may have uninsured motorist coverage under your own auto insurance policy that might provide coverage. You probably need to speak with an experienced auto accident attorney about these issues.

Please note that my answering this question, does not in any way mean I represent you for this, or any other case.

The driver has just called my husband saying he would meet up wit him and pay the cost of repairs. Is there anything we should do? We know the cost of the repairs and he is willing to pay that ammount.

1. Contact your insurance company about filing an Uninsured Motorist claim. 2. Hire a local attorney. Why? Tennessee has some of the shortest statutes of limitations for injury claims in the country.

Please note that my answering this question, does not in any way mean I represent you for this, or any other case. You need to seek that actual face-to-face advise of any attorney in your area who can advise you further as to your rights.

Report the crash to your inusrance company and the other drivers. Get a lawyer

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes