My husband was in an auto accident. The driver of the car that hit my husband was not the owner of the car.

Asked about 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

The ins co that covers the car will not pay because the driver is not the owner. What do we need to do? My husband was not at fault.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Thomas Randel Greer

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most auto insurance policies cover a "permissive" driver. The insurance company's position may be due to the fact that the driver of the car did not have "permission" to use the car and therefore is not covered. More likely, however, the insurance company is simply hoping that you will accept its position and not file a claim.

    If in fact there is no coverage for the driver under the owner's policy, there may be other avenues to pursue. For instance, do you know if the driver has a policy that might provide coverage? Finally, if neither the driver or owner truly have coverage, you may have uninsured motorist coverage under your own auto insurance policy that might provide coverage. You probably need to speak with an experienced auto accident attorney about these issues.

    Please note that my answering this question, does not in any way mean I represent you for this, or any other case.
  2. Nathan Zale Dowlen

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1. Contact your insurance company about filing an Uninsured Motorist claim. 2. Hire a local attorney. Why? Tennessee has some of the shortest statutes of limitations for injury claims in the country.

    Please note that my answering this question, does not in any way mean I represent you for this, or any other case.... more
  3. Gregory M. Stokes

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Report the accident to your own insurance company. They might cover the claim under uninsured motorist coverage, if you have it. And, give serious consideration to hiring a local personal injury attorney who is willing to on a contingency fee basis.

  4. Howard Robert Roitman


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Report the crash to your inusrance company and the other drivers. Get a lawyer

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,588 answers this week

2,591 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,588 answers this week

2,591 attorneys answering