My husband was in a hit /run accident, the driver that hit him abandon the auto only a few feet away, insurance wont pay

Asked over 1 year ago - Houma, LA

They cannot prove the owner was driving because he abandoned the auto due to damage, the insurance wont pay for our auto , which is totaled & my husband was hurt,who is to be held responsible

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Richard Ramsey Kennedy III

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Each case is very fact specific and not all questions can be answered now. Was the other car reported stolen? If so, when was the report taken and how does that relate to the time of the crash? Did anyone witness the crash? If so, can those witnesses provide a description of the driver and/or passenger?

    Also, depending on the insurance policy held by the owner of the other car, assuming there is one, you would have to look at the specific language of that policy, were any drivers excluded, did the vehicle owner let anyone else use his car, was the car stolen, and other questions along those lines are something to consider when evaluating the case. And, what type of insurance coverage do you have on your vehicle? Does it offer you any protection?

    Please feel free to contact me, if you would like, to further discuss your family's potential claim

    The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not... more
  2. Tanya Marie Bachand

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do not indicate which insurance is refusing to pay. You should hire a personal injury attorney immediately, either you have a claim against the other car's insurance policy, and owner, or against your own for uninsured motorist coverage.

    This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Michael R Crosner

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney .... more
  4. Albert Lee Crosner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many questions that a good personal injury attorney would ask you need to be asked. Contact a local area personal injury attorney right away to help preserve your rights. Sorry you car was totaled and your husband hurt. Best of luck.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The... more
  5. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . More info is needed to evaluate. Contact a lawyer in your state to investigate

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Daniel P. Hilf

Driving While License Suspended

Driving While License Suspended or Revoked in Michigan is a misdemeanor offense (according to MCL 257.904(3)(a)) that carries a maximum potential jail sentence of up to 93 days, and/or a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,220 answers this week

3,542 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,220 answers this week

3,542 attorneys answering