My husband was given a bad blood transfusion in October 2012 and passed away march 2013

Asked 6 months ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

moffit cancer center found disorter in his blood stream in jan, 2013 but did not let me know until after his passing.

1. David Ian Schoen

Pro

13

Answered . You need to consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney to determine if there is a viable claim.

Pro

13

Answered . Not many facts here, but have a local malpractice lawyer order his medical records to investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

3. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

11

Answered . The Moffit Cancer Center is a sovereign entity and any recoverable damages are so severely limited that even if this disorder was a cause of your husband's death it may be impossible to recover enough to offset the high expenses associated with a lawsuit and expert witnesses. I am very sorry for your loss. In addition, if there was no autopsy it may be impossible to prove that this transfusion was a substantial contributing factor to your husband's death, especially if he was being treated for cancer or another disorder. The laws are extremely restrictive in our state.

4. Jeffrey Robert Davis

10

Answered . If the moffit cancer center's delay was two months, it is doubtful medical intervention could have made a difference in the outcome. Where did he receive the bad blood from and why was it required?

5. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

11

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Medical malpractice cases require a thorough review of the medical history and records. See a local medical malpractice attorney. Try the Find A Lawyer feature on Avvo. Good luck.

6. Laura Lee Shields

8

Answered . You should consult with a medical malpractice attorney in your area for a FREE consultation. Where did the bad blood come from? There may be other factors that would need to be identified that could be important. Florida does not have good laws for people injured as a result of medical malpractice, but you should at least consult with an attorney.

I am very sorry for your loss.

7. David Herman Hirsch

8

Answered . I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You need to have a medical malpractice attorney get the files and have them reviewed by a physician to determine if professional negligence occurred and if you have any recourse. A site such as this is really very limited when it comes to any attorney being able to give you a substantive response. Medical malpractice cases are expensive to pursue, difficult to prove and highly technical in nature, since you need experts to establish what the standard of care is and that it was breached in some fashion. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

8. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

8

Answered . Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss. To find out more about this, you should consult with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer. Most lawyers offer a free consultation for cases like yours.