My husband was charged with a dope case, the drugs were mine I am now thinking of signing a non prosecuting affidavit

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

My husband took a dope case that should have been mine now they are trying to give him 5 years he has been in trouble 20 years ago for drugs but that was 20 years ago. So if I go with a non prosecuting affidavit will that save me I've been in jail once and that was for theft and that wad back in 89' I have not been in trouble since

1. Stephen Andrew Hamer

3

Answered . The state is prosecuting your husband for drugs. I don't see how you signing an affidavit of non-prosecution would have any effect. You need to speak with a local criminal defense attorney about the specific facts of the case. Your husbands defense attorney is a good one to talk to regarding your husband... but you probably need your own to protect you. Good Luck.

2. Thomas G. Briody

Pro

4

Answered . This is not a question you can answer online. You each need to engage an attorney to discuss this. Avvo is a good place to start, but this must be done confidentially. Both you and your husband need your own lawyer to address your concern. Good luck.

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . You need to consult a good criminal defense lawyer about this. And, while your husband may have a good lawyer, that is his lawyer. You should consult your own.

BTW, the prosecutor decides what to prosecute. An affidavit from another person saying that they do not what a case prosecuted is in effect only a suggestion. A person who is the true guilty party and gives the prosecutor a statement to that effect has just confessed. That's another reason to consult a good criminal defense lawyer about whether you should do as you suggest.