My husband was arrested for battery DV a few days ago he has since bonded out and as a no contact injunction. what happens next?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

i did not file a report or even press charges the officer and state did. i do not want to testify.
neither one of us as ever been in trouble with the law and since we can not contact each other I have no idea what is going on or what to do. I do not fear him and don't know how to get the injunction lifted.I don't have the financial means to hire a lawyer and I am completely lost at this point.

1. Bryce Aric Fetter

5

Answered . If he can not afford to hire an attorney then he will need to ask for a public defender when he goes to court.

www.BryceFetter.com

2. Carin Manders Constantine

5

Answered . You need to talk to the State Attorney as they may decide to prosecute without your approval. You will then not have any say about whether you testify or not. In addition, the No Contact Order is to protect both of you so I suggest you follow it. Good luck.

3. Justin Gary Hausler

4

Answered . He can have a lawyer prepare a declination of prosecution for your signature if you're saying you don't want the prosecution. Also, a lawyer can file a motion to modify bond conditions to allow contact. Do you know if he has obtained a lawyer? Did you two live together? Where is he now?

4. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

4

Answered . Do you know if he has an attorney? A public defender? You can get in touch with the attorney and sign what is called a declination of prosecution. This will go a long way. You also can agree to testify at a motion hearing on a motion to modify conditions of pretrial release and request the no contact order be lifted.

Most importantly, you need to think it through carefully and ensure there are no issues going on here that more violence could be carried out in the future.

5. Grant Ian Schwarz

Pro

3

Answered . Unfortunately, even without your consent, the State can pursue criminal charges against your husband. However, your lack of cooperation will be make very difficult for the State to continue with their prosecution, but it will not necessarily make it impossible.

There will be a court date coming up soon. Your husband should make contact with the Public Defenders Office Early Representation Unit so he can get started with his defense. You could also contact the State Attorney's Office and ask to sign a Waiver of Prosecution form. This form indicates that you are the listed victim, and that you have no interest in pursuing charges, and do not want to be contacted by the State or anyone else regarding this case. You could also speak to the prosecutor handling the case and explain to them what really happened (for example: Husband never touched me, I never called the police, Police officer was rude and wrote things I did not say). You must be careful what you tell the State Attorney's Office, because they can use your sworn statements against your husband, and even against you if they feel you are lying to protect your husband. Many victims get charged with perjury for such a thing.

It would be best if you were able to hire a private attorney to help speed the process along.

6. William Charles Rosenfelt

2

Answered . I agree that you should speak with the prosecutor because that is really your only angle if there are not funds available for hiring an attorney. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)