My husband was arrested for battery and cruelty to Children.

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

My husband was arrested last night for Battery and Cruelty to children. These charges are misdemeanors in the state of Georgia. He has a bond set at at $2500 for Battery and $1000 for Cruelty to children. How long will he be in jail if he can not post bond? Also, if I have a protective order will I be notified if he is released. Will he automatically get jail time for the charges or can he get off with a slap on the wrist?

If a Defendant cannot post bond then they will remain in jail until trial. However, given the fact that the jails are overcrowded, bond will be set and he will be released in a couple of weeks to two months. No the TPO will not require the jail to notify you of his release. You can call the jail and see if he has been released. As for the sentence, if convicted the Court will impose a sentence based on his past ciminal history and the circumstances of the case. The maximum jail time would be one year. That is if the Judge issues a one year sentence for both cases and they are served consecutively.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this case is pending.