My husband was arrested for a DUI warrant and obstruction of justice in Illinois. Is he going to stay incarcerated long?

Joliet, IL |

My husband was the passenger in a vehicle involved in an accident, which was not the driver's fault. He lied to the police about who he was because he had a month old warrant out for his arrest for missing a DUI court case. Both are class 4 felonies. He only has 6 more months left of his 24 month probation. Both charges are being tried separately and I don't have any money to bail him out. How long will he stay in jail approximately with a public defender? The sentence for the DUI was 3 months in custody and 24 months probation back in 2011.

Sorry to hear that you're going through this. It's going to be very difficult for any of us to answer your question without the benefit of reviewing all of your husbands police reports and criminal background. Even if you don't have the money for an attorney, I suggest giving a couple of local criminal defense attorneys a call, as most will offer a free consultation. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

I recommend a very fine DUI counsel for that particular case, Peter Petrakis. For your convenience here is the link below:

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI