My husband wants to be my Green card sponsor but will go back to college next year. Is this going to be a problem

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I am about to get married and my boyfriend just earns enough to be my sponsor ($19,000 last year only). He will hopefully go to college in the fall or early next year. Will this be a problem if he is my sponsor?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

2

10

Answered . He needs to have sufficient income at the time of application and adjudication.

2. Akanksha Kalra

4

Best Answer

Answered . If your husband is a U.S. Citizen, he would have to file a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support along with the I-130 petition on your behalf. If your husband goes back to school, or is unemployed and cannot meet the income requirements, he would have to get a Joint Sponsor (who is at least 18 years old and is a U.S. citizen or “green card” holder) who agrees to submit an affidavit of support to sponsor you.

3. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

4

Answered . If your soon to be husband is not working, you can still get sponsored by him as long as you have another co-financial sponsor who meets the guildlines to support you.

4. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . If you are approved before he goes back to school there will be no problem, otherwise, you will need a joint sponsor on the affidavit of support [and may already need a joint sponsor].

5. Karen-Lee Pollak

3

Answered . to be safe obtain a joint sponsor

One or more answers have been taken down.