My husband wants a divorce & i don't, what can i do?

Asked about 2 years ago - Washington Court House, OH

5 years ago we separated & i slept w/someone else & got pregnant. I thought it was my husbands so we got back together. He recently found out that I slept w/the other person & we were trying to work on the marriage until thursday evening when he told me he wants a divorce. I don't want it. I think we can still work this out.

1. Brian Scott Piper

1

Answered . The other attorney is correct, you can not just hope it will all go away. If he is detrmined to obtain a divorce, he will ultimately be able to obtain one. Talk to a family law attorney in your area. First of all, there is a procedure to stay the divorce for a time while counseling is attempted. However, understand that just because you can compel counseling doesn't mean that you are going to be able to change his mind. If that is the case, you should have the benefit of legal counsel. You are going to be susceptable to agreeing to a bad settlement because of the sadness and guilt you may feel over the the breakup of the marriage. You are not going to be thinking clearly and you need the advice of an impartial professional.

2. Loretta Marie Helfrich

Pro

1

Answered . Counsel is correct. You should seek counsel promptly. You will not make good well reasoned decisions when operating from guilt, fear, anger or false hope that the marriage is salvageable. If you want to safe the marriage then try counseling. But first, get legal counsel and educate yourself and get focused. If you do not, then you may well end up with less than that to which you are entitled or to which your child may be entitled.

3. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

Answered . Unfortunately wanting to work it out is not enough to thwart a divorce. Would he consider counseling? If not you may want to speak to an attorney about the divorce. Ignoring it won't make it go away