My husband used me for green card

Asked almost 5 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

I am a US Citizen. I married this for love. After I petition him and he recieved his conditional green card, his attitude and characted change and he went back to his homeland and stayed at his ex wife. He only used me so he can get his green card. I want to divorced him because he is only using me. Can he still process his permanent green card after i divorce him. What recourse I can do to have him deported.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I am very sad to hear your story. Unfortunately many people try to cheat to get a greencard. If you believe he has done this to you, you can go ahead and let the USCIS know. Unfortunately if he gets a good lawyer and can prove his marriage was entered in good faith, he might be able to get his greencard. Read the article on our website about Love, Marriage and the Greencard!

    Good Luck
    Shah Peerally
    Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
    The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law, Bankruptcy & Debt Relief
    37600 Central Ct, Ste 201, Newark CA 94560
    Phone: 510.742.5887

    Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act based solely on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

  2. Eubert Marc Torrefiel Hilario

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You can inform the USCIS about your circumstances. If the USCIS finds out that your husband committed fraud, he most likely be held accountable for the fraud and will be deported.

  3. Sarah M. Cross

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . The agency to contact to report suspected immigration fraud is ICE You don't have the right to get your husband deported and generaly, contacting ICE is non-productive. Normally, you need more than a suspicion that the mariage was fraudulent. In other words, you need some sort of proof, like emails stating that he only used you for the greencard to really get any action out of immigration. If he only has a conditional card, then he needs to remove the conditions in order to remain in the US legally after your divorce. He may or may not be successful with that. It is unfortunate that this happened to you, but without some proof reports to ICE often some off a looking like a move to better one's position during a divorce or retaliation.

    Sarah M. Cross
    The Law Office of Sarah M. Cross
    Serving Clients in All 50 States
    800-681-2311 or 810-225-0953 email

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,258 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,258 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering