My Husband tried entering the U.S illegally in 2005 and got caugh, he re-entered, can he obtain Citizenship?

Asked over 2 years ago - Whittier, CA

My husband tried entering the U.S twice in 2005, was caught both times and finger printed by immigration. He re-entered the U.S in January 2005. We got married March 2005. We have two little boys, a 3yr old and a 5 yr old. I am a U.S citizen who is currently teaching middle schooled tudents. Will my huband be able to obtain citizenship?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No. Reentering after even one deporation is considered a federal offense and is punishable by 5 years incarceration in a federal penitentiary (7 years in Utah.)
    I urge you to retain a lawyer in your area to examine your husband's case, obtain a copy of his record from both DHS and FBI and see what can be done. You will need to submit at least 2 Waivers of Extreme Hardship..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That's a tough scenario as the government takes a harsh stand on those who demonstrate repeated disregard for immigration laws (by trying to enter the us illegally multiple times).

    You will need to have an attorney assess not only the periods of time your hubby spent in the us, but each of the times he tried to enter and whether he was actually deported or fingerprinted and released. For that you'll need to get q copy of your husband's immigration file from border patrol (under the freedom if information act) and a copy of his FBI background check.

    You should consider retaining an attorney to help you. My firm handles such cases and I represent clients nationally.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  3. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, that is a difficult question to answer, the immigration file as stated would be needed.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more
  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Not unless something in his immigration record can be changed. This is unlikely but not impossible.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,703 answers this week

3,432 attorneys answering