My husband thinks he will get custody because he bought a house

Lindenhurst, NY |

I have court ordered custody he has set visitation with no overnights. He works all different hours and i am a stay at home mom. We live in a lovely townhome with my fiance and plan on getting married if my divorce ever gets finalized. My child has her own room and everything she could ever need. She is happy and healthy. My soon to be ex said he is going to get custody away from me because he has a house and is living with his"cousin" and her 8 yr old now. i have had custody for two years and everything is fine. He even had cps come in for false claims which they closed the file and told me not to worry i would not lose my child and i did not .is that possible that the judge would give her to an abusive man who cannot even follow a court order and who has violated an oop 3x?

In order for him to get custody, there would need to be a substantial change in circumstances since the last court order. Custody is based upon the best interests of the child in NY. Based upon what you have asserted here, in all likelihood, he would probably not be granted a change in custody. If he files for a modification, seek an attorney.

I hope this helped answer your question. If it has, please mark this answer as helpful.

Thank you.

Ms. Blizzard-McGrath has provided an excellent answer with which I agree. He can certainly try to get full physical custody, but that does not sound like it is "the best interests of the child". I also agree that if a petition is filed in Family Court, you should seek representation whether or not your ex- also does. You can find many good Family Court attorneys on this website who appear in Suffolk County Family Court on this website using the "Find a Lawyer" tab. Most provide free initial consultations.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Ok so he decided to tell the court that i am alienating the child from him altho i change my schedule to accomodate his work. I make the child talk to him but she hangs up. She calls her father daddy But to my family calls him by his first name. I tell her no he us daddy but she still does it. I did not tell him my childs whereabouts for a while but never missed his visitstion because i have an order of protection and he had stalked me. I want to mive in with my bf and plan to marry him The child says things to him that i never said as im sure things she tells me he said arent true. Everything he said is a lie except i want to mOve. I have obeyed the judges rulings what can happen

I dont understand how he continually lie and get away with it and im the idiot who tells the truth and tries not to exagerate thing and i get screwed. I cannot afford a lawyer

I agree with the prior responders. The court will not award custody solely because someone has a townhouse. Get an experienced family law attorney to assist you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

In order for him to get custody, he would have to allege and establish a change in circumstances warranting a change in the custodial schedule. Courts will do what is in the best interest of the child. The fact that he bought a house and lives with his cousin and and her 8 year old, means nothing.

Child custody topics