My husband says if I will not sign the papers to sell our house that he will stop making payments.

Austell, GA |

My husband is trying to sell our house and I do not want to.

My husband has found a buyer for our house and says if I will not agree to sell he will stop making payments. My name is on the deed with his but not on the mortgage.

Since you are not on the mortgage, his delinquent payments should have no effect on your credit rating. It will affect his, however, and you may both lose the house if he goes on too long without paying the mortgage. Because of that, I think he’s bluffing, but it’s hard to take a chance on calling him on it. If your husband carries through his threat not to pay, you probably should consult a family lawyer for mediation help. I don’t see anything in your question about a divorce or any “papers” except the papers to sell the house.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

2. Unfortunately, you haven't provided enough facts to give you much advice. Please try again.

However, if he wants you to sign "papers" it could mean the deed or it could mean divorce settlement papers. As you may be aware, he can stop making payments and if you're on the mortgage along with him, then your credit rating will take a hit along with his.

I suggest you consult with an attorney right away and determine your options and try to work things out with him.

You may call our office at 516-248-6600 or send an email to us at Ted@Thelawteam.com. This answer does not form an attorney/client relationship with anyone and any answers do not constitute direct legal advice and should not be followed unless and until you have spoken with an attorney of your choice.