My husband's whereabouts are unknown. How can I file an uncontested divorce?

Asked over 4 years ago - Lake Placid, NY

We have been apart for more than 22 years. He has deliberately avoided detection(legally working) in order to avoid paying child support. His family may know his whereabouts but will not disclose this to me.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. David Alexander Browde


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can't file an uncontested divorce without his signature.

    You can seek a divorce using normal procedures, even if he can't be located. See the information in the guide linked below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,712 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,712 answers this week

3,055 attorneys answering