My husband's unpaid medical bills are on my credit report. Can I dispute them to get them off of my credit history?

Dana Point, CA |

My husband's unpaid medical bills went to collection and are now on my current credit report. Am I able to dispute them to get them off of my credit history? He is not on my insurance plan as a dependent.

Typically husbands and wives are responsible for each other's medical costs under the "Doctrine of Necessities" (also known as the "Doctrine of Necessaries"). That means it's unlikely those collections will be removed from your credit history on the basis of your dispute. You probably owe the bills just as surely as he does.

In California spouses are legally responsible for each others medical bills. Therefore, only the passage of time will get the debt collector off your credit report.

In California, spouses are jointly responsible for each others debts and obligations (if incurred during marriage). if the medical bills were incurred during marriage then you are responsible for them. If, on the other hand, you husband incurred the medical bills before you were married, then you should be able to get them removed.

Disclaimer. Ms. Marsh is an attorney licensed to practice in California. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Marsh strongly advises the questioner to consult with an attorney to thoroughly review his or her particular circumstances and for advice tailored to his or her specific circumstances.

Marriage and prenups topics