My husband recently passed away

Asked over 2 years ago - Mattoon, IL

we were married 9-9-09 and seperated 10-18-09 we had not seen or talked since i didnt even know where he was i found out he died by accident. his mother sent me a message today telling me to contact a lawyer and said all his bills were coming in and as his wife i was responsible for his debt. is this true i do not feel i am, help

1. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . Your mother-in-paw is correct. You should contact a lawyer. Not only is the issue of funeral bills (which you may not owe) but there is also the possibility that you may have inherited from your estranged husband.

2. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

2

Answered . I would fully agree with Ms. Goldstein. You need to consult with a local attorney to see what rights and or obligations you may have in this situation.

You can find an attorney on this website or at www.nalea.org.

Good Luck to you!

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

3

Answered . I am a NY attorney and cannot advise you as to your state's laws, but I can provide certain general information that may be helpful. The fact that you and your late husband were together for such a short period of time is really not relevant from a legal standpoint. In most states, a surviving spouse will receive at least one third of the estate. The estate will be responsible for the decedent's debts.

You should consult promptly with a local attorney, who will be able to advise you as to what rights and what obligations you have.