My husband recently died. What do I need to do?

Asked over 4 years ago - Upper Marlboro, MD

What paper work /who do I need to notify of his death eg. SS, IRS ect....

1. Mark Kotlarsky

Answered . The IRS is notified by marking that he died on the tax return. You may want to contact Social Security to find out whether you are eligible for any benefits. The transfer of the title to his car is handled through MVA. If your husband had a pension plan, IRAs, insurance or other assets of this type which pass to his beneficiaries, the holders (banks, insurance company, employer, etc) need to be notified so the assets could be transferred to the beneficiaries. If he and you owned real estate together, you should contact a real estate attorney or the county land records office. If your husband had any other assets, you may need to file for probate. The county's Register of Wills office will help you with the paperwork. If it is a complicated matter, you will need to hire an attorney.