My husband pays child support to someone. i own a business, can they use that to determine his paymnts since he is married to me

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

my husband doesn't work but helps out with my business. i own a business with someone else. can child support use my share of the profit to determine how much he has to pay to the other person in child support. I heard that if I am supporting him, they can use my asset/profit since he is married to me.

1. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

1

Answered . No. Your income should have no influence on your husband's child support for a child that's not yours.

2. Linda S. S. De Beer

Pro

Answered . It is correct that they cannot consider your income to determine his child support. They will likely use the figure of 1.5 times the federal minimum wage as his income level. It is possible that they could determine the type of work that he is doing to help, and try place a value on those services, as potential income. Basically, unless he is physically disabled, they will use some level of income for him in the calculation, even if he is not actually receiving it. To determine that, they may be very interested in the exact tasks he does for you, because they will try to fit him in to a definition on the Wage and Salary Survey for Minnesota, and use that figure. If they do serve discovery on you, as a third party, you have significant rights, and you should contact an attorney right away. For example, you may be entitled to compensation beyond just the normal witness fees.