My husband pawned an item we rented from a rent to own place. They got it back and we paid the pawn shop. What could happen?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lynchburg, VA

The item was a tablet, valued at about $800. We got behind on payments and they asked for their items back. I had to save money to pay the pawn shop, and once I called them and paid them (because we'd moved to a different city), the guy at the pawn shop told me the rental company already had their merchandise back and since I paid the pawnshop, everything was okay. Today a local police officer came to my house saying a detective in the other city was looking for us. I called him and he told me what was going on. Apparently they contacted him 10 days ago. So he didn't know that I had already paid the pawn shop. He said both the pawn shop and rental company may decide to not file charges. Any advice?

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . Talk to a local criminal law attorney. Taking property that you do not own and selling it is called theft. Civil charges can be filed for conversion. If you paid everyone and the property is back with its owner, then maybe no one will file charges.