My husband passed away without a Will and he has one adult daughter. I live in MD in my husband house and the title is only in

Asked 4 months ago - Clinton, MD

His name. Can his daughter put me out the house?

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

4

Answered . You should open up probate at court for your husband's estate, and ask the court to appoint you as your husband's personal representative of his estate. Whether the daughter can put you out of the house will depend on who ends up with the house. This will probably be a battle between you and the daughter, so get yourself ready for what is coming. I recommend you consult with an attorney who regularly practices in probate and litigation of probate and estates. I will add a tag line to open up your query to attorneys who can help you.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . Consult a probate attorney. By operation of law, without a will, assets will pass through the probate process to the deceased's heirs in a certain order. You might have rights in the house as his surviving spouse.

3. Edward Samuel Clay

2

Answered . It is possible both you and your step daughter may have rights of ownership when all is said and done. It depends on how many other assets your husband owned at his death. The short answer to your question is that it can't be answered without more information. The only sure thing is that since the house was titled in your husband's name alone and he has died the title can't change without the court overseeing the administration of his estate (probate). You would benefit from consulting an attorney who can review all of the relevant facts and circumstances and advise your appropriately.