My husband passed away (we have been separated for years) How can I get a copy of his last tax returns?

Asked over 1 year ago - Walnut Creek, CA

Hello I have been married for over 20 years to a man who owned a business. He died in late Dec. 2012. I would like to possibly file for survivors benefits. I have our Marriage certificate & his Death certificate but need to get a copy of his last tax return. Can someone please tell me how to go about getting a copy of his tax return. I have not contact with any of his family so not sure how to go about getting any legal documents regarding taxes?

I would like to add that on the death certificate it states that my husband is divorced. He was married prior to our marriage but we are still legally married.

1. Charles Adam Shultz

4

Answered . Who provided the information for the death certificate? You will want to have that changed? Contact whoever prepared the death certificate.

Did you husband leave a Will? If not, you have priority to serve as his administrator. If the Tax returns were filed married filing separately, you need to be appointed as his administrator to have the right to get his tax records.

2. Theodore Michael Hankin

Pro

3

1

Answered . If you are appointed as a personal representative by a probate court, you can request a transcript of his tax return using a form 4506-T

3. Henry Daniel Lively

3

Answered . If he filed as Married Filing Separately you cannot get a copy unless you are the executor of the estate. This is private financial information.