My husband passed and he had a car lease what can I do with the car. Should I take the car back or try to make payments on it.

Asked over 5 years ago - Tampa, FL

1. Dennis Michael Phillips

Answered . It sounds to me like you would prefer to keep the lease going on the vehicle. While technically, the lease contract was between the dealer and your husband, the practical truth is that they want the money; and they won't rock the boat if you don't.

I'm not advising you to conceal anything. I'm not giving you any advice at all. I'm just sharing my thoughts to give you a moment to see your situation from a different angle.

2. Nathaniel C Fick Jr

Answered . Pull together all paperwork. Good likelihood that there may be an escape clause. If your husband had anything else in his name at time of his death, that, too, may be within his estate. You may wish to consult with a lawyer on this; I would NOT rush to make any payments. Make sure, of course, that you do have a copy of the Certificate of Death. Look at payments and see if there is any additional premium or assessment for insurance on the contract.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.