My husband needs a D6 clearance, does he need a lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Miami Beach, FL

My husband was given a ticket last year in Miami, FL for an expired registration. Due to the fact that he lost his job, he didn't pay the ticket and also because he left for UT and was gone for a few months. Well, now he has a UT license and when he tried to get his license from FL, was told that he has a bench warrant and needs a D6 clearance and will need to reschedule court date. We can't afford a lawyer but he needs his license back asap Please give me some advice on what to do next, as we are going through foreclosure and we are facing much stress. I'd really appreciate it, thank you in advance.


Attorney answers (4)

  1. Summer Rae Goldman


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you cannot afford an attorney, I suggest that your husband do the following:
    1) contact the judge's office who issued the warrant
    2) have the case number ready to give to the judge's assistant and/or name and date of birth
    3) very briefly explain that there is an outstanding warrant and that you would like to get it taken care of (essentially, in legal speak, you are asking for a "Motion to Withdraw Capias").
    Once he is in court he will ask the judge to withdraw the warrant and remove the D-6. He should be prepared to pay any outstanding costs.
    Just beware, the judge can take him into custody on the warrant.
    Best of luck!

    Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without... more
  2. Royce Brent Bishop

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Did you check to see how much a lawyer would charge? Maybe is not as bad as you think.

  3. Kyndra L. Mulder


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He needs to face the music one way or the other. Pay the fine and get the D6 clearance. If he can not afford the fine he will need to see if he can get a court date and request the fine be waived. An attorney to represent him in court would probably cost more then paying the fine and getting the clearance on his own.

  4. Dina Mayling Sheridan

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . He won't need a lawyer to get the D-6 clearance (that can be obtained for a small fee at the Clerk's office in the county where the violation occurred) but he may want to hire an attorney to address the warrant and attend court. If he can't afford an attorney, he can always try to file a motion as a pro se litigant, or contact your local bar association for low cost attorney services.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,051 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,051 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering