My husband made me trustee of the family trust but only our children beneficiaries.

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

Trust holds the house. I have no assets. Turbulent marriage of 20 years (affairs on his side). Could his aim be to leave me with nothing in case of divorce?

1. 7

1

Best Answer

Answered . The trust may very well be an attempt to circumvent your community property rights. You need to consult an attorney to review the trust and possibly challenge the transfer of the homestead and possibly other assets into the trust.

2. 3

1

Answered . He could have any number of motives. We cannot discern motive. Also, the language of the trust will have a great effect on whether or not you would lose a community property interest in the home, if you have one. You should consult an experienced estate planning attorney and let him read the trust and all other relevant documents.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  3. 3

1

Answered . Mr. Pyke is correct. It would be in your best interest to consult with a local attorney for guidance and direction, based on an in depth review of your circumstances.