Skip to main content

My husband left me two years ago and will not help me pay the joint dept. do i have to get divoreced to get this money from him

Ballston Spa, NY |

we were together for 22 years and married for 11 years. All dept was in my name because he had bad credit. and was all incurred when we were married. do i have to get divorced to get the money out of him or can i take him to court and sue him for the money? we had personal loans, credit card dept and cell phone dept all in my name only. 100% percent of our income came from 73% my husband 27% mine. would he be responsible for 73% of the dept?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You may do better suing him. You should discuss your situation in detail with a local attorney. Divorce courts tend not to look back into how money was spent during the marriage .

  2. You may wish to consider initiating a lawsuit against him for the debt.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

  3. I concur with the above answers.

    THIS COMMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE and are provided for informational purposes only. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. All answers are based solely on New York law, unless otherwise specified.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics