My husband left me & moved into the back house.Can he now sue me for mortgage payments? He filed for divorce 6 months later.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I never paid for the mortgage only household utilties. He is claiming I owe him money since the time he moved into the multi unit. He is still on the property.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He can't sue you for the mortgage payments. But there might be issues of reimbursements depending on whether the property is community or separate property. Generally any property bought during the marriage is community property regardless of title designation. Additionally, if he owes you spousal support and both are still staying on the property, it is possible that the payment of the expenses of the house while both are living there could be credited in part, towards spousal support. But there are alot of facts that need analysis in this scenario. You need to see the help of an attorney on this.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,391 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,391 answers this week

2,550 attorneys answering