Skip to main content

My husband keeps adding my name to his credit cards then maxing out the cards. What are my rights? Is this fraud?

Peachtree City, GA |

I tell him NOT to add my name he still does. I have great credit and feel he is being vindictive. He knows how important my credit history is and I feel he is trying to trap me in this marriage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is no way he can add your name unless either you agree or if he forges your name and commits a felony.

Your remedy to stop him is to immediately make a police report on each card, file fraud alerts on your credit report, complain to each bank, and then swear out a warrant for his arrest. You need to do this right away and not wait a long time. Once you get him arrested you can divorce him and be rid of the criminal you married. You'll want a good lawyer.

Note that if you keep allowing this to happen, everyone will assume you consented and you will be stuck with the cards and the debt. Note that you must act quickly. You can't wait for him to use the cards a lot, enjoy the lifestyle, and then complain.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I need a little more information. Is he simply adding you as an authorized user? It is my understanding that under these circumstances you are not liable for the charges. Make sure, however, that you do not use these cards at all. You can contact the credit card companies and instruct them to remove your name from the card. Have you pulled your credit report recently to see if these cards are showing up on your credit report? If the cards are no showing up, he may have only added you as an authorized user.

I agree with the previous answer in that you must take immediate action. Many credit "experts" recommend that you freeze your credit so that you cannot be subject to fraud. When you are ready to puchase an item with credit, you unfreeze your credit temporarily. At a minimum, your should place a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies and contact the credit card companies to let them know that you have not authorized the use of the cards.


From a perspective of helping you, the advice the other lawyers have given you is correct. Report the fraud, notify the companies, and pull your credit file to see if the debts are listed as authorized accounts or as your personal debt, and dispute the incorrect information. However, if you are looking to stay in this marriage, reporting fraud could hurt your spouse and even subject him to criminal prosecution. Just be aware of the consequences before you act. Either way, it sounds like you need to talk to a divorce lawyer and go ahead and be gearing up on that front if he is doing these things just to hurt you or keep you.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation


Get a hard nosed divorse lawyer.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer