Skip to main content

My husband just filled 4 me With his permanent residency.he is abt 2 be sworn in 4 his citizenship. How do we update immigration

Bronx, NY |

Hes been a permanent resident since 2002 and finally decided to become a citizen. We mailed all the forms on the 15th of oct and he is taking the oath of naturalization on the 17th of oct. How do we update his status to immigration to make the filling peocess faster? Also I applied for the travel permit would it be in by jan?

Attorney Answers 4


What I don't understand is this - If you knew your husband would be taking the oath on Oct 17, why did you mail the forms on Oct 15? You couldn't wait 2 more days? You need to call uscis so they can update your category!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Aneliya M. Angelova

Aneliya M. Angelova


If they update your husband's status and you are otherwise eligible, you should have the advance parole within 3 months. However, check the current processing time for I-131 because sometimes it varies and there may be delays.



Ok...thank you for the advice. Very helpful. However, the reason I sent it in was because I read on a blog that I could mail it in instead of waiting.


You do not. Once he is a citizen, file for AOS, provided you entered with a qualified visa.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I don't know how you applied for travel permit if you filed under your husband's green card. Once he gets naturalized and you receive a receipt for you application, you can update your records with USCIS, file Adjustment of Status if you qualify for it ( that is if you entered with a valid visa), apply for your travel permit etc. Remember your process can go much smoother with an attorney who canlook at your particular circumstances, tell you of any problems you may encounter and help you prepare to address them.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


call uscis to update your category

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics